Venue: Abel Smith (building 23), The University of Queensland, St Lucia.
Ancient History Day 2019: Law and Order in Antiquity
The Friends of Antiquity, in conjunction with The Discipline of Classics and Ancient History (School of Historical and Philosophical Inquiry, UQ), present the 25th Annual Ancient History Day.
Presentations of 45 minutes each by:
- Emeritus Professor Trevor Bryce (Justice and the Law in the Ancient Near East)
- Professor Alastair Blanshard (The Trial of Socrates)
- Emeritus Professor Bob Milns AM (Demosthenes, Aeschines and the 'Crown Trial' of 330BC)
- Assoc. Prof. David Pritchard (Soldiers, Sailors and Police Officers in Democratic Athens)
- Dr Janette McWilliam (Children and the Law in Ancient Rome)
- Dr Amelia Brown (Roman Law Codes - Theodosius to Justinian)
A detailed program will be available for collection in the foyer.
Advance payment recommended but may be made on the day. Plenty of seating available. PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR REGISTRATION BY 14 MARCH 2019:
Ancient History Day 2019 Registration Form
$55; $15 each for students with ID; $45 each for FOA/AFUQ members. Cost includes morning tea.
- 8:00–9:00: REGISTRATION - Foyer of Abel Smith Lecture Theatre
- 9:00–9:15: CHAIR: Dr Dorothy Watts; WELCOME & INTRODUCTORY TALK: Head, School of Historical and Philosophical Inquiry (formerly HPRC)
- 11:00–11:25: MORNING TEA – Please note that food and drinks are not permitted in the theatre
- 1:05–2:15: LUNCH - Food outlets on campus will be listed on signs in the foyer
- Thanks and Close
Food is available at some campus outlets or at St Lucia village or BYO.
Parking at UQ is free on weekends (more information: www.pf.uq.edu.au/parking). The R D Milns Antiquities Museum is open at lunch break. There will be foyer displays and sales, including secondhand books (AFUQ) and Museum souvenirs. Visit the Co-op Bookshop for new book sales. Teachers only CPD certificates may be ordered on the day ($20 per certificate, postage included).
Friends of Antiquity (firstname.lastname@example.org); R D Milns Antiquities Museum (www.uq.edu.au/antiquities); Alumni Friends of UQ Inc (07) 3365 1562; School of HAPI (07) 3365 2620.