Venue: Qld Bioscience Precinct (building 80), The University of Queensland, St Lucia.
- Saturday March 28, 2020
- 9:00am – 4:00pm: Ancient History Day 2020: Spectacle
- Venue: Auditorium (room 2171), Qld Bioscience Precinct (building 80), The University of Queensland, St Lucia
Ancient History Day 2020: Spectacle
The Friends of Antiquity, in conjunction with The Discipline of Classics and Ancient History (School of Historical and Philosophical Inquiry, UQ), present the 26th Annual Ancient History Day.
Presentations of 45 minutes each by:
- Emeritus Professor Trevor Bryce (Ancient Near Eastern Spectacles: Displays of Power and Propaganda, and Shows for the Gods)
- Professor Alastair Blanshard (Fes*vals of Athens)
- Dr E. Strazdins (Spectacle and Commemoration of the Dead: the Case of Herodes Atticus)
- Assoc. Prof. Tom Stevenson (The Triumphs of Pompey and Caesar: Spectacle and Competition in the Late Roman Republic)
- Dr Amelia Brown (Spectacles of Animals, Music and Dance in the Circus of Christian Constantinople)
- A play performance/reading
A detailed program will be available for collection in the foyer.
Advance payment recommended but may be made on the day. Plenty of seating available. PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR REGISTRATION BY 13 MARCH 2020:
Ancient History Day 2020 Registration Form
$55; $15 each for students with ID; $45 each for FOA/AFUQ members. Cost includes morning tea.
- 8:00–9:00: REGISTRATION - Foyer of auditorium (Room 2171, Building 80)
- 9:00–9:10: CHAIR: Dr Dorothy Watts; WELCOME & INTRODUCTORY TALK: Head, School of Historical and Philosophical Inquiry (formerly HPRC)
- 11:00–11:30: MORNING TEA – Please note that food and drinks are not permitted in the auditorium
- 1:00–2:15: LUNCH - Food outlets on campus will be listed on signs in the foyer
- Thanks and Close
Food is available at some campus outlets or at St Lucia village or BYO.
Parking at UQ is free on weekends (more information: www.pf.uq.edu.au/parking). The R D Milns Antiquities Museum is open at lunch break. There will be foyer displays and sales, including secondhand books (AFUQ) and Museum souvenirs. Visit the Co-op Bookshop for new book sales. Teachers only CPD certificates may be ordered on the day ($15 per certificate, postage included).
Friends of Antiquity (firstname.lastname@example.org); R D Milns Antiquities Museum (www.uq.edu.au/antiquities); Alumni Friends of UQ Inc (07) 3365 1562; School of HAPI (07) 3365 2620.